Before submitting your course enrollment form, consult the appropriate official in your school, college, or university to make sure that the credit you earn from your courses will count toward your degree.

Cornell grants academic credit in semester units. To convert them to quarter units, multiply by 1.5.

Credit limits

Summer Session

  • Up to four credits in a three-week period (effectively a 20-credit semester)
  • Up to eight credits in a six-week period (a 20-credit semester)
  • Up to ten credits in an eight-week period (a 19-credit semester equivalent)
  • Up to fifteen credits during the entire summer period (May-August)

Winter Session

  • One class or up to four credits

Fall/Spring Study

  • Up to eleven credits per semester, unless you receive special permission to exceed that limit (see below)

May I exceed these credit limits?

Credit limits may be exceeded only in the most extraordinary of circumstances.

Submit requests to the registrar of the School of Continuing Education.

The request must address your specific reasons for wanting to study at Cornell for a semester, including how this study will help you achieve your academic goals.

You must also complete and submit a course enrollment form (PDF) along with your request, indicating the classes in which you want to enroll if you receive permission to do so. (You do not need to obtain the requested instructor's and college registrar's signatures at this time.)

A meeting with a dean of the School of Continuing Education may also be required.

If you're a Cornell undergraduate

Your request must include the endorsement of your faculty advisor. If you're a student in Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences, you should also seek the support of your advising dean.

If you're a Fall/Spring study student

Your request must include

  • All of your college and university transcripts
  • A letter of recommendation from a professor who knows you well

If you're an international student

See additional instructions on the international students page.

Grades & symbols

You can get your final grade(s) at the end of the semester by logging on to Student Center and clicking on "Grades" under Academic History. Your Cornell NetID and password are required.

  • Grades cannot be given over the telephone, email, or fax.
  • If you're unable to access your grade(s), contact the IT Service Desk.
  • If you withdraw from a course on or after the withdrawal deadline, the symbol "W" appears on your transcript for the dropped course.
  • When you register as an auditor, the symbol "V" appears on your transcript.
    Note: Cornell undergraduates are not permitted to audit courses.

For more information, visit the Cornell University Courses of Study website.


Your enrollment in courses, your grades, and the number of credits you earn will be recorded on an official Cornell University transcript and will be a part of your permanent and complete academic record at the university.

To request a transcript, visit Ordering Transcripts on the Office of the University Registrar website. Your Cornell NetID and password are required.

If you do not have a NetID or your attendance began before 1982, use the Self-registration ordering site.

For more information, visit the Office of the University Registrar website.