In keeping with Cornell's mission, the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions (SCE) offers diverse opportunities for students to study abroad as well as for international students to come to Cornell.
Below is a summary of our recent projects.
To learn more about SCE's study opportunities, see
- Off-campus study options
- International undergraduate and graduate student information
- International high school student information
You can also find a wealth of information about internationalization on Cornell's Global Cornell site.
SCE international initiatives
SCE offers many opportunities to partner with faculty, units, departments, colleges, and others at the university and beyond in support of study-abroad options as well as initiatives that bring international students to campus.
SCE has developed extensive experience in this area over its long history, can offer flexible programming options, and has established connections across campus, the U.S., and the world.
In addition, the School's Summer Sessions and Winter Sessions are optimal times for students to engage in international study and/or fieldwork and for faculty to test and develop international projects.
Recently, SCE has offered credit and noncredit programs in Italy, Spain, France, England, Cuba, Iceland, Cambodia, and other exciting destinations.
About 40 percent of the students who attend Cornell University Precollege Studies are international students. And more than 400 students from China routinely take summer classes at Cornell through Precollege Studies and the Courses for Credit summer and winter sessions.
SCE also collaborates with Weill Cornell Medicine–Qatar to provide academic support for the pre-medical program and administers the Mingtian Fund for Haiti's Tomorrow, which enables one or two Haitian students each year to conduct summer research at Cornell to aid in Haiti's recovery.
Bringing Cornell to the world
SCE's study-abroad options include programs offered in partnership with Global Cornell. Recent and upcoming programs include
- Imagining Rome: Art Studio and Creative Writing Workshop in Italy
- Cornell Summer Program in Madrid
- Cornell Summer Program in Turin
- Cuba Vista
- Experiential Writing in the Yucatan: Environmental and Cultural Communication
We also offer a number of foreign language courses each summer.
Bringing the world to Cornell
SCE's on-campus options for international students include:
- The long-standing program English for International Students and Scholars (EISS), offered in the fall, winter, spring, and summer each year.
- Summer Sessions partnerships with Beijing Normal University, Hong Kong Baptist University United International College, Beijing University of Chemical Technology, East China University of Science and Technology, Renmin University, Shandong University, Shanghai University, Xiamen University, Nanjing University of Finance, University of International Business and Economics (Beijing), Wuhan University, Zhongnan University of Economic and Law, and others.
- Cornell University Precollege Summer Residential Program, which brings as many as 1,500 students from more than 40 countries to campus each summer. In particular, the Academic Writing course is especially suitable for international students. The international nature of the Precollege Summer Programs is one of the most frequently praised aspects of this program.
- International students also enroll in our Summer Session and Winter Session classes (on campus, off campus, and online), and fall/spring part-time study.
- International students also participate in Professional Studies offerings including the Administrative Management Institute.
For more information
For more information about any of these efforts, or to partner with SCE in future endeavors, contact Mary Loeffelholz, Dean, School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions.
Cornell WeChat channel in China
Scan this code to connect with the Cornell China Center’s WeChat channel, "CornellBeijingCenter."