- Improve your ability to use English accurately in speaking and writing.
- Build skills for communicating in culturally appropriate ways.
- Develop the language skills to achieve your professional, academic, and personal goals in your field.
- Practice reading, note-taking, and listening to lectures and presentations.
- Use English in daily communication with your instructors, peers, and others.
- Receive a minimum of eighteen hours of instruction each week.
- Access select Cornell facilities and services, including fitness centers, libraries, and computer labs.
All students enroll in the non-credit course "UNIV 3032: English for International Students and Scholars." The course is graded pass/fail and will appear on your official Cornell University transcript.
Successful graduates receive a Cornell Certificate of Completion.
For a description of the 2017 summer program, read "Global scholars study academic English."
EISS offers you the opportunity to work closely with dedicated ESOL teachers from across a wide range of disciplines.
"We met great teachers and classmates here. We studied hard together. We had lunch and dinner together. Are you ready to start a new life?"
"I made a lot of friends from different countries, learned a lot, and grew more comfortable living in the United States. I will enter my graduate program in the fall with more confidence!"