Class you want not listed? Take it independently!
You can enroll in practically any Cornell class listed in Courses of Study if you can find a professor willing to supervise the coursework through independent study.
This may be an actual independent study class or it may be any other course that a faculty member is willing to offer on a tutorial basis.
Once you have identified a professor willing to supervise your study, please follow enrollment steps outlined below. This must be done at least two weeks prior to beginning the independent study class.
In addition, a group of students (at least five) wishing to enroll in a specific class not scheduled for when you want to take it may email the School of Continuing Education's registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org) requesting that the class be added to the roster. The SCE registrar's office will then try to arrange for that course to be offered.
To register and enroll
- Find a professor willing to supervise your coursework.
- Complete the application for independent study (PDF)
- At least two weeks prior to beginning the independent study class, complete and submit the course enrollment form (PDF) to Cornell University's School of Continuing Education, B20 Day Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853
- Pay your tuition charge and fees in full at the time of enrollment. You are not officially enrolled until you have submitted full payment.
- Finalize your enrollment by completing the steps on the SCE onboarding page.
Visiting students attending on-campus classes are required to pay either the Student Health Fee or enroll in Cornell's Student Health Plan. See the health services page.
These requirements include activating your Cornell NetID, familiarizing yourself with important policies, and determining if you need to enroll in Cornell's student health plan.