- Winter Session 2020 course rosters will be available in late September.
- Summer Session 2020 course rosters will be available in November.
This course is only offered in the Summer Session.
Taught in the world-renowned School of Hotel Administration, currently ranked number one in the world for hospitality management, in Cornell’s SC Johnson College of Business, this intensive and engaging course will enable you to:
• deepen your understanding of the food and beverage industry, from market segmentation to menu planning, food safety, supply chain, and service issues;
• learn what it means, and takes, to be an entrepreneur in the food and beverage industry;
• identify the considerations required to develop a viable, and sustainable, food and beverage concept and;
• strengthen your business, marketing, and management knowledge.
As a participant of this course, you will be engaged in a thoughtfully designed blend of active learning sessions, group work, and lectures that focuses on assessing your market, testing your idea, and planning the successful execution of new food and beverage industry concepts. Through presentations, research, guest speakers, and more, you will be introduced to the segments and scope of the industry, to the major players, and to the market forces and critical issues at play in this competitive field. You will discover the importance of identifying your customer and learn how to conduct market research and apply marketing principles to food and beverage concepts. With this information, you will be able to shape your idea, define your value proposition, and develop an effective business case for your concept. In addition, you’ll become acquainted with topics including food safety, standardization, and recipe development; explore menu design and planning; investigate facilities and production issues; identify basic concerns regarding supply chain and inventory management in a food and beverage setting; and familiarize yourself with purchasing and quality assurance concerns.
Summer 2019: Ithaca campus
|Section ID:||HADM 1102 001-LEC|
|Class dates:||June 24-July 12, 2019|
|Days/times:||M-F 9 AM - 12 PM 396|
|Grade:||Graded (no audit)|
|Instructor:||Gaulke, C. (ccg79)|
|Restrictions:||Open to high school students.|