To gain experience and insight into the day-to-day work of lawyers, during the second three weeks of the program, you may be able to participate in an internship in person (in the New York metropolitan area or Ithaca, NY) or virtually (with a host located anywhere in the US).
We will make every effort to identify internships and assign them to accepted students on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please note that these unpaid internships are optional. (You may opt to participate in only the core course portion of this program, which runs June 3–21, 2024, with a final exam on June 26, 2024.) In addition, placements are limited in number, subject to market conditions, and not guaranteed.
If you're interested in being considered for an internship, it's to your advantage to apply to the program and pay your tuition and fees as early as possible.
The Prelaw Program will make every effort to match your interests and talents with an available internship and to ensure that you'll have an opportunity to observe what lawyers do on a day-to-day basis.
The nature of each internship will be at the discretion of the hosting firm or organization. You should be prepared to work exceedingly hard at these internships as the goal is to replicate post-graduate work experience.
Internships range from law firms to the legal department of a corporation, government agency, or nonprofit organization.
Past internship hosts include
- APG Asset Management US Inc.
- Cohen & Gresser LLP
- Cornell's Counsel Office
- Cornell Law School
- Hoguet Newman Regal & Kenny, LLP
- Kasowitz Benson Torres & Friedman LLP
- Krentsel Guzman Herbert, LLP
- Lar Lubovitch Dance Company
- L + M Development Partners
- Murphy & McGonigle
- NYS Division of Human Rights
- NYS Supreme Court - Civil Branch
- NYS Supreme Court - Kings County
- Office for Justice Initiatives
- Seneca Women
- Sullivan Papain Block McGrath Coffinas & Cannavo P.C.
- The Honorable Elizabeth Stong
- The Legal Aid Society
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, Mediation
- Visiting Nurse Service of New York
- Waterfront Commission of NY Harbor
- Weill Cornell Medicine
- Zuckerman Spaeder
- and many more...
Note: No student will be considered for placement until all application materials have been submitted and approved and the full program charge has been paid.