Requesting a teaching assistant

For classes that have budgets approved with a status of TA Pending, a graduate teaching assistant may be selected once enrollment has reached the required minimum (typically, 15 or more students). The TA’s compensation will be based on university stipend rates and the guidelines established in the provost-approved Faculty Policy and Salary Schedule. In cases where a class is not eligible for a TA, based on enrollment, departments may seek approval for the college to cover the cost from the college share of the bottom line.

Generally, TAs are graduate students. In rare cases, undergraduate students may be assigned as Student Services Assistants/Course Assistants to support teaching staff. Undergraduates are hired under hourly appointments, and time submission is to be monitored and approved by SCE based on the agreed number of hours the student will work, typically no more than 20 hours. The class instructor will be contacted regarding discrepancies. For the College of Arts and Sciences, undergraduate assistants assigned in lieu of a TA must be approved by the college.

Contact your department's course budget administrator to submit the proposed TA in the SCE budget system.

Teaching assistant resources

The Center for Teaching Innovation offers a central place where teaching assistants can go for insight and assistance with their teaching responsibilities. All graduate students are encouraged to explore the resources on the CTI website. For support, email CTI at, or join their online drop-in hours.

Health coverage extensions for summer TAs

Health coverage generally expires at the end of June. August graduates with no summer enrollment credits, who are teaching in July or August: If you do not plan to continue at Cornell in the fall or the following spring, you may be eligible for a credit to cover all or part of the SHP extension fee, provided you have not received other funding.

For information about the extension credit, contact Ruby D. Brown at