Note: The information below pertains to on-campus programs only. Please see our online courses section for information about tuition and admissions for online classes.

Read about Summer College and the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

For international students applying to on-campus programs only

The following steps apply to international students applying to on-campus programs only. Students applying for online courses are not required to submit their standardized test scores or obtain a visa.

Standardized test scores

Do I need to submit test scores?

You do not need to submit scores if

  • Your current high school uses English as its official language of instruction
  • OR

  • All classes at your high school are taught in English

You do need to submit scores if

  • Your current high school does not use English as its official language of instruction
  • OR

  • All classes at your high school are not taught in English

In this case, you must have the following minimum scores to apply to most Summer College programs:

  • TOEFL: 100 or higher on the online test
  • An IELTS score of at least 7 (While IELTS testing is currently suspended due to COVID-19, we will accept your IELTS Indicator score.)
  • SAT: 650 or higher on the evidence-based reading and writing portion of the test

When you apply, you must submit a complete score report from at least one of the above exams. We can't process your application without the report(s). We do not accept MyBest or TOEFL iBT Superscores or the Duolingo English Test.

Haven't taken TOEFL or IELTS English language exams? Contact your nearest test center to take the TOEFL or IELTS tests.

Can I still apply if my scores are lower?

If your TOEFL score is 97–99 and/or IELTS score is 6, you can only apply to take the following three courses (you must take all three). There are no exceptions:

What if my scores are don't meet the requirements?

If your TOEFL score is lower than 97 and/or IELTS score is lower than 6, we suggest that you work on strengthening your English language skills this year and apply in the following year.

I-20 forms and F-1 student visas

International students must obtain an F-1 student visa to attend credit-bearing educational programs in the United States. To obtain an F-1 student visa, you must:

  • Be fluent in written and spoken English
  • Be enrolled for the duration of your program in at least three credits for a three-week session or at least six credits for a six-week session

Visa information for international students in the non-credit Robotics program

Visa information for international students in the non-credit Adirondacks program

Applying for a visa

To apply for an F-1 student visa, include the following with your online application materials:

  • Completed I-20 request form (PDF), printed and signed by hand
  • Copy of your passport

We begin generating I-20s in late March. It can take up to four weeks after you submit payment, an I-20 request form, and a copy of your passport, so please be patient. You will receive an email when the I-20 is issued to you. We will add the SEVIS number, Cornell's School Code, and the express mail tracking number to your Student Services account the day we mail your I-20. To ensure fastest delivery, be sure to provide your accurate and complete mailing address, including postal code and your current phone number.

As soon as you receive your I-20, take it along with a copy of your admissions acceptance letter to your U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for an F-1 visa.

This is a lengthy process, so begin your application as soon as possible. Some countries require more time to schedule appointments and process visa paperwork. We cannot be responsible for delays in receiving visa documents or difficulties scheduling appointments with your U.S. embassy or consulate.

Requirements for Canadian citizens

Canadian citizens do not need to go to a U.S. consulate to apply for a visa stamp. However, you do need to pay the SEVIS fee, and you must request F-1 status when you enter the United States by presenting

  • Your I-20
  • Your Canadian passport
  • Receipt showing you have paid the SEVIS fee