- Explore the tectonic boundaries where magma has erupted over millions of years to form Italy’s three great active volcanoes: Etna, Stromboli, and Vesuvius.
- Tour remains of ancient theaters and cathedrals, churches, archaeological museums, and public gardens.
- Enjoy wine from grapes that have been grown for centuries in the rich volcanic soil.
- Revel in the impressive geology of the island of Lipari, including the vast quarries, remarkable red and black veins of obsidian, and ancient hot springs.
- Discover the rich history of this volcanic region and the huge influence it had on Greek philosophy and science.
CAU adventures are designed and led by some of Cornell's most engaging faculty members. These experts create tours focused on the subjects about which they are most passionate; their enthusiasm shows in the rave reviews we receive from travelers. With extensive experience in both the subject and location of your trip, and access to behind-the-scene tours, our faculty leaders will help you delve deeply into the culture and history of the places you visit.