Visitors' Noncredit Program
Don't need credits? Save money through the Visitors' Noncredit Program
The Visitors' Noncredit Program is designed for adults who are not Cornell University degree candidates and who
- Want to take courses at Cornell at a significant discount
- Do not need those courses listed on an official Cornell transcript
- Do not need to earn credits
With the permission of a course's instructor, and upon payment of a fee, noncredit visitors may sit in on most regularly scheduled, non-participatory, on-campus courses.
You will not earn credits for courses taken through this program, and these courses will not appear on your transcript.
Don't need credits but want a transcript?
If you wish to attend courses at Cornell, don't need to earn credits, but do want your courses to appear on your transcript, see auditing a course.
The Visitors' Noncredit Program fee is $168 per credit for Fall 2022 through Summer 2023. This non-refundable fee is 90 percent off the regular tuition charge. It does not include textbooks or materials.
- Students in this program may not enroll in off-campus, online, or participatory courses, including, but not limited to, those in photography, studio art, computer science, languages, and the laboratory sciences.
- Initial permission to register as a noncredit visitor rests with the college or school, its departments, and its faculty members. Individual colleges and schools may limit the number of visitors in each course and determine whether visitors are permitted at all. (Currently, visitors are not permitted to register in courses offered by the School of Hotel Administration or the College of Veterinary Medicine.) Final approval for granting visitor status, however, is at the sole discretion of the registrar of the School of Continuing Education (SCE).
- There must be space available in a course for a noncredit visitor after all students enrolling for credit have been accommodated.
- No transcript, grade record, or proof of attendance will be kept for noncredit visitors.
- There is no limit to the number of courses in which a noncredit visitor may enroll.
- Because noncredit visitors do not receive a Cornell University ID card, they do not have borrowing privileges at university libraries or access to other university facilities and services, including assignment of a Cornell NetID.
- In addition to the restrictions above, this program is not open to high school students. (See the high school students registration page for more information.)
How to register
- Complete the Visitors' Noncredit Program Registration Form.
- Ask the course instructor to sign the form, indicating that there is space in the class and you have permission to enroll.
- Email the form to email@example.com during the registration period. See dates and deadlines.
- Pay the non-refundable Visitors' Noncredit Program fee. See how to pay. Note: There will be no refund of this fee unless you are not allowed to remain in the class because of space limitations.
- Upon payment of the program fee and verification by the SCE Registrar that the course is non-participatory in nature, you will be provided with approval to attend the class via email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you decide you want to earn credit for your class, you may change your registration only with an instructor's permission and during the first two weeks of classes. To change to regular credit registration, you must re-register through SCE and pay the regular tuition. Your visitor fee will be credited toward the cost of your tuition.